Friday, June 7, 2013

Debbie Diller Workshop!

Emily and I got to attend a Debbie Diller Literacy Stations Workshop today.  After reading many of her books, it was great to see and hear her in person.  Here are some ideas I especially liked:

1.  Take digital photos of kids using stations.  Send to parents as a way to show them what kids are doing during Literacy Station Time.
2.  Take one station at a time and highlight it in your classroom blog or newsletter.
3.  Have students take notes while watching a video because it's usually easier with a video than a book.
4.  Have a testing station-I especially liked the Question Maker Station for this.  Students read test passages together and answer questions about it.  Next, they write their own questions.  Your advanced learners can not only write their own questions but create the answer list too.
5.  Use a Research Station.  I know my kids would love, love, love this!!
6.  Use a Science Station with topics related to science and math.  Love a way to incorporate STEM ideas here!
7.  Debbie suggested using Community Journals in stations as a way for students to record their thinking. 
8.  Use audio in your Fluency Stations.  Tape record students and let them listen to themselves read.  I have Flip Cameras that I think I might use for this. She also recommended having a fluency rubric in this station for students to assess themselves.
9.  Create "I Can" statements with students not FOR students. (I'm so guilty of the FOR thing!!)
10.  Assign "Station Inspectors" jobs.  Your two "Station Inspector" students evaluate stations after they have been used and report their findings to the class. 

I am going to be evaluating my Lit Stations to decide what changes I want to make for next year.  What works for you?  Tell me your favorite station that you use in your classroom!  What changes will you be making in your Lit Stations???? 


Photobucket

3 comments :

  1. So many great ideas! I love being able to incorporate lots of science and math with literacy when I can. Would love to see those new literacy stations when they get started!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andrea! I love her books so it was fun to get to listen to her for the day. I am working on creating some fun things for the Science and Math station! I'll be sure to share when I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one lucky girl getting to go to one of those workshops! They're the best!!!

    24/7 Teacher: Amy Harrod

    ReplyDelete

01